Monday, September 9, 2013

Canning Chicken Soup


Ingredients


          Chicken
          Salt
          Crushed Garlic
          4 or 5 lbs Carrots
Large Stalk of Celery
Onions



You will also need quart jars, lids and rings and a Pressure Canner

First, you can’t can rice or noodles. You’ll have to add either or both of those before you serve this yummy treat.

Cut up chicken was on sale so I got some breast and leg quarters – about 8 pounds. I rinsed them and placed them in a stock pot, covered them with water and added about 8 carrots that I had halved, 6 stalks of celery also halved, a couple tablespoons of garlic and a tablespoon of salt.  I kept the veggies large so I could have the flavor of the soup and they’d be easy to remove.

I cooked the chicken for about an hour and then drained the chicken and let it cool.  I strained the broth and set it aside.

While I was cooking the chicken, I diced carrots and celery. I’m allergic to onions so I skipped those but you’re welcome to add them to your soup.  Next I skinned, boned and cut up the chicken. 

With all the prep done, I put the strained broth back on to boil.  Then I put 1/3 C of celery in the bottom of quart jars.  Next I put about ¾  C of carrots on top of the celery Here’s where you would add the onions.  With the veggies in place, I added the cut up chicken. The amount of chicken I used was more than a cup. I just divided the chicken up equally into the quart jars. 

When the jars are full, you ladle in the hot broth to about 1” from the top. Wipe the tops of the jar. Place hot lids on the jar and finger tighten the rings.

Pressure can at 10 Lbs for 90 minutes. Let the pressure drop before removing the lid. Then place the soup on a towel on the counter to finish cooling.  Next day, remove rings and rinse jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment