Monday, September 9, 2013

Canning Ground Beef in Broth



   Ingredients

Ground Beef
          Salt
          Hot Broth or hot water




You will also need pint jars, lids and rings and a Pressure Canner

I canned my ground beef in pint jars... rule of thumb one pint=one pound (more or less)... so pints are a good size for when your recipe starts out with "brown one pound of ground beef..."

I started out by browning my ground beef. I then drained the meat...
...and filled the hot, sterilized pint jars loosely, leaving a generous one inch headspace.

Next, I filled the jars with hot vegetable broth that I had made specifically for this purpose. I took carrots and celery with some crushed garlic and boiled it until it smelled wonderful. (You can also make your own beef broth, buy it from the store, or use beef broth granules and mix with boiling water)... I left a one inch headspace... got rid of any air bubbles by inserting a plastic knife between the inside of the jar and the meat, adjusting headspace as necessary by adding more broth if needed.

After wiping the jar rims with a damp cloth I tightened my hot, sterilized lids on to fingertip tightness.

I processed the pint jars in my pressure canner at 10-11 pounds pressure for 75 minutes (quarts would be processed for 90 minutes).

After processing, I let the pressure drop in my canner slowly, on its own... then waited an additional 10 minutes or so (the slow "cool down" helps prevent liquid loss and jar breakage) then removed the jars using my jar lifter...

Then set them on a folded dish towel on the counter to cool (away from any drafts) and to listen for the PING! of each successfully sealed jar. After they have completely cooled, remove the rings and rinse jars to remove any residue.

No comments:

Post a Comment